What is Degenerative Disc Disease?
Normal changes take place in the disks of your spine as you age. If you are suffering from degenerative disc disease, pain tends to occur during these normal changes. Nearly everyone’s intervertebral discs break down over time, but not everyone feels pain from it. If you are looking for a physical therapist in Smithtown to help combat the pain that comes with degenerative disc disease, our team at Island Sports Physical Therapy is here to help.
Causes of Degenerative Disc Disease
- Loss of fluid in the discs: The older you get, the thinner and drier your discs get due to natural water depletion in the body from age.
- Pressure on discs: Applying intense pressure to your discs could be a cause of degenerative disc disease. Sports, weights, or a traumatic accident could cause your spine to endure degenerative disc disease. Here at Island Sports Physical Therapy, we understand the importance of keeping you safe and healthy and we are knowledgeable in what it takes to prevent, treat, and combat degenerative disc disease and the symptoms that come with it.
Symptoms of Degenerative Disc Disease
- Neck, shoulder, and back pain
- Pain in the upper thighs, buttocks, hips, and back of legs
- Pain when bending or lifting
- Pain when sitting
- Muscle soreness and weakness
- Loss of mobility
- Numbness in body
- Muscle spasms
If you are experiencing any of the symptoms listed, you may be suffering from degenerative disc disease. A physical therapist in Smithtown at Island Sports Physical Therapy is here to get you started with the treatment you may need for a better quality of life.
Treatment of Degenerative Disc Disease
If you believe you have degenerative disc disease, it is important to visit a physical therapist in Smithtown to get you on the right track to recovery. Our team can help create a regular routine of back exercises to prevent low back pain and reduce the severity and duration of the flare-ups you may be getting. Controlled and monitored back exercises will help with back strength and flexibility. Consistent and efficient back movement will also promote nutrients to the spine, and keep discs, muscles, ligaments, and joints healthier overall. These exercise plans will vary and differentiate based off of the level of pain and severity of the diagnosis.
How can Island Sports Physical Therapy Help?
We are professionals that have treated patients with all forms of spinal conditions at Island Sports Physical Therapy. After an evaluation, we will work with you to create a unique plan for spinal rehabilitation. We understand the importance of rehabilitation and make it our job to rehabilitate you with ease. Throughout this process, we will help prevent future complications as well as ease pain from current complications. Contact our office today for more information or to schedule an appointment!