As we age, our body undergoes wear and tear which creates physical changes that affect our functionality and overall well-being. At Island Sports Physical Therapy, our physical therapists are determined to improve strength and mobility in our patients. If you are seeking physical therapy in East Meadow, our physical therapist will be able to provide our geriatric patients with the physical rehabilitation they need.
Geriatric physical therapy is designed to maintain and improve coordination, muscle strength, and endurance as well as increase balance and flexibility. The goal of geriatric physical therapy is to increase mobility while promoting fall prevention. Exercises in relation to geriatric therapy may include:
- Balance therapy
Best exercises for fall prevention:
If you are seeking physical therapy in East Meadow, our team of physical therapists will be able to show you various exercises in order to prevent falls such as:
- Single limb stance
- Walking heel to toe
- Shoulder rows
- Calf stretches
- Back leg raises
- Side leg raises
7 benefits of exercise:
- Prevent falls – Improving muscle strength will be helpful in reducing the risk of falling.
- Reduced risk of heart attack or stroke – Any type of cardiovascular exercise will increase blood flow to the heart which in turn boosts overall health.
- Better bone density – Weight-bearing exercises will help to reduce the risk of fractures or developing osteoporosis.
- Reduces risk of dementia – A sedentary lifestyle can increase the risk of developing dementia; therefore, it is important to remain active.
- Prevent or delay disease – Exercise has been proven to be an effective remedy for many chronic diseases.
- More independence – Exercise can lead to improvements in all functional abilities.
How can we help?
Here at Island Sports Physical Therapy, we are dedicated to making sure you receive treatment in the safest way possible, as well as providing you with a safe environment for exercising. If you are in need of physical therapy in East Meadow, our physical therapists will come up with a customizable treatment plan tailored to your individual needs. If you believe geriatric physical therapy may be the right treatment option for you, please contact us today in order to set up an appointment!