Geriatric Fitness Programming
As we grow older, it becomes vital to put more time, effort, and energy in activities meant to help us improve our bodily condition. At Island Sports Physical Therapy, we have physical therapists in Glen Cove, East Northport, Huntington, Smithtown, East Meadow, and Coram that can recommend exercises designed for senior citizens. Some exercises include:
- Moderate exercise for at least 30 minutes, five times per week.
- Muscle-strengthening activities for two or more days a week that work for all major muscle groups.
It is important to keep active in order to increase:
- Range of motion
Our physical therapists in Glen Cove create an individualized program based on your bodies conditions. This will ensure your safety while taking part in exercises.
Benefits of Geriatric Fitness Programming:
- Improved health outcomes-
- Helps you maintain or lose weight. Exercise increases your metabolism as well as helping builds lean muscle mass which burns more calories.
- Reduces the impact of illness and chronic disease. Staying fit also improves your immune and digestive systems, while reducing your risk for Alzheimer’s disease, diabetes, obesity, and heart disease.
- Enhances mobility, flexibility, and balance. While improving your strength, flexibility, and posture, you are also helping with your balance and coordination.
- Improved mental health-
- Improves sleep. Regular activity helps you fall asleep faster and wake up feeling refreshed and full of energy.
- Boosts mood and self-confidence. Exercise helps relieve stress and produces endorphins. The endorphins help with depression and anxiety.
- Reduced isolation.
- Improved quality of life.
- Improved physical health-
- Increased activity levels.
- Increased physical mobility.
- Increased balance.
- Reduced slips and falls.
If you deal with diseases such as arthritis or osteoporosis a physical therapist in Glen Cove can be beneficial to you as well. Physical therapy can help you in a variety of ways:
- Maintain and restore balance.
- Relieve pain.
- Strengthen muscles.
- Maintain better posture.
- Regain balance.
- Reduce the risk of falls.
If you are looking to improve your overall quality of life, contact Island Sports Physical Therapy so that their physical therapists in Glen Cove can help you get back on the road to wellness!