Before the colder weather rolls around, it is great to take advantage of those warm summer days. When the sun is shining, it is hard to resist getting outside as part of your day to day routine. Running is one of the best calorie-burning activities you can do. However, with extreme temperatures, there are some risks for staying in the blazing sun too long. While the weather should not deter you from getting some fresh air during your work out, it is important you are prepared for the rising temperatures!
Keep in mind:
Below are some tips for running in the summer heat:
- Find the Best Time of Day – For optimal temperatures, try to avoid running when the sun is at its highest point in the sky. In the summer, it is in the mid-afternoon, so consider running in the early morning or evening.
- Run Near Water – Bodies of water often create breezy temperatures and are cooler than running more inland.
- Hydrate – When the weather is warmer, your body sweats to cool down. As a result, you become dehydrated, since your body is losing more fluids. When your mouth is parched, you are already dehydrated, so it is important to drink enough water before, during, and after your run.
- Wear the Proper Attire – In the heat, avoid wearing tight-fitting clothes. You should also wear light colors so that the fabric reflects the sun’s heat off of you.
- Run in the Shade – Indirect sunlight, you will overheat faster than if you are in the shade. If you are in the sun, however, you should wear sunscreen with the proper SPF.
- Take Frequent Breaks – Listen to your body to know when you are tired. It is okay if you cannot maintain your regular pace; the hot weather can affect your distance and pace. Take breaks by alternating between running and walking. That way, you can decrease your heart rate and drink more water. Plus, this change can increase your endurance.
- Run with a Friend – Running in the summer could lead to heat-related illnesses. A friend can help if either of you start to feel unwell.
Step into Action at Island Sports Physical Therapy in Huntington NY:
We understand how running can set you free. There is no need to set limits. At Island Sports Physical Therapy in Huntington NY, we encourage active lifestyles with the right amount of care. We offer a variety of services that can not only help you get healthy but also maintain your health. These may include fitness programing, sports-specific therapy, orthopedics, and more! Our team is eager to help you reach your goals safely and efficiently! If you have any questions or would like to schedule an appointment, contact us today.