Treatment For A Pulled Groin
Are you looking for a physical therapist in East Northport who can treat your pulled groin? Look no further than our friendly team of caring professionals at Island Sports Physical Therapy!
What Is A Pulled Groin?
We at Island Sports Physical Therapy have more than 30 years of experience providing hands-on care to patients suffering from groin injuries. Being that most of these injuries are the result of sudden changes in direction while running or jumping, many of these patients have been competitive athletes–soccer, basketball, and hockey players.
Symptoms Of A Pulled Groin
Injuries to the groin area tend to most heavily affect the inner thigh, but can extend to any muscle or tendon between the hip and the knee. When you meet with a physical therapist in East Northport for a diagnosis of your groin injury, he or she will examine your range of motion and degree of tenderness in order to accurately place it into one of the following three categories:
- First-Degree Groin Pulls – You are able to walk without pain, but find it difficult to engage in such physical activities as running or jumping without experiencing mild discomfort.
- Second-Degree Groin Pulls – A significant amount of damage has been done to your muscle, making it difficult to engage in any sort of physical activity without experiencing moderate pain.
- Third-Degree Groin Pulls – Your muscle has been completely torn, leaving you in severe pain, unable to perform physical activities of any sort.
At-Home Treatments For A Pulled Groin
Depending on the severity of your groin injury, you may not require the in-person assistance of a physical therapist in East Northport to make a full recovery. In such cases, we commonly recommend the following at-home treatments:
- Prolonged periods of rest while keeping your leg elevated and the affected area protected.
- Regularly applying ice to the region to prevent swelling.
- Taking over-the-counter painkillers to reduce inflammation. If you find that you are still in pain after 2-3 days, schedule an appointment with a physician as long-term painkiller user can cause more harm than good.
- Engaging in light exercise to maintain the strength of the affected muscle or tendon.
How Physical Therapy Can Help A Pulled Groin
A physical therapist in East Northport can provide you with a quick and safe recovery from your groin injury. We here at Island Sports Physical Therapy will happily design a treatment plan that will help prevent future injuries. Treatment plans for a pulled groin typically include:
- Manual Massage Therapy
- Hip Rotations
- Leg Lifts
- Thigh Squeezes
- Treadmill Runs
Get In Touch With Us
Our team at Island Sports Physical Therapy is just as committed to returning you to your active lifestyle after your groin injury as you are. Contact us today to get connected with a physical therapist in East Northport who is ready to help your recovery.