WHAT ARE THE DIFFERENT TYPES OF PHYSICAL THERAPY?
Physical therapy is the practice of using physical medicine to help improve a patient’s mobility and function. Physical therapists help patients prevent or manage their injuries, achieve function, restore ability, and maintain long-term benefits. Because qualified physical therapists can treat a wide range of people and conditions, it is broken down into specialties so that you can find the right medical professional experienced in handling your specific complication. If you are looking for physical therapy in Dix Hills, our staff at Island Sports Physical Therapy is ready to help you start feeling better today.
DIFFERENT TYPES OF PHYSICAL THERAPY:
The practice of physical therapy is broken down into many specialties, and even more sub-specialties. However, there are certain specialties of physical therapy that are often the main focus. These main specialties include the following:
- Pediatric: This branch of physical therapy focuses on detecting, treating, and managing any issues, injuries, disorders, or diseases that affect the physical bodies of infants and children. This includes any problems associated with the muscles, bones, and joints of the patient. Pediatric physical therapists may also see adolescent patients as needed. Pediatric physical therapists help treat conditions such as cerebral palsy, torticollis, and spina bifida, as well as any acute injury a younger patient may be experiencing.
- Geriatric: Physical therapists specializing in geriatric care and treatment, focus on complications that arise as patients naturally age. Such complications typically include arthritis, Alzheimer’s disease, hip and/or joint replacement and complications, and osteoporosis. These physical therapists create specialized therapy programs to help their patients regain mobility and reduce pain.
- Orthopedics: Orthopedic physical therapists deal with complications within the musculoskeletal system. They manage and treat disorders and injuries, and they can assist with many surgical recoveries. If a patient has had complications or surgery affecting the muscles, joints, ligaments, tendons, or bones, then this type of physical therapy can assist. Examples of this include sports injuries, arthritis, tendonitis, spine care, degenerative, scoliosis, fractures, lower back, rupture and herniated disc, whiplash, orthopedic surgery, spinal disorders, and bursitis.
- Cardiovascular Rehabilitation: These physical therapists deal with cardiopulmonary disorders and surgeries. The main goal of this type of physical therapy is to restore endurance and functional independence in patients. If you have recently had a heart attack or heart surgery, cardiovascular rehabilitation at our location for physical therapy in Dix Hills can help expedite your recovery process.
- Neurological: Therapists in this specialty work with patients who have neurological complications. Some examples of these complications include ASL, Parkinson’s disease, cerebral palsy, spinal cord injuries, soft tissue, and/or stroke. These therapists work to reduce the effects of symptoms that may arise from these conditions, such as paralysis, loss of balance, and difficulty walking.
- Sports: Physical therapists help athletes recover from injuries sustained on the field. They work to analyze the cause of the injury and determine a treatment plan to help athletes return to their full potential after suffering from an injury. Common injuries treated by sports physical therapists in dix hills include ACL injuries, tendon tears, compression, and both simple and compound fractures.
CONTACT US TODAY FOR PHYSICAL THERAPY IN DIX HILLS
Physical therapists work to relieve many different types of ailments and symptoms experienced by a wide range of people. Because the field of physical therapy is so extensive and can benefit a large number of patients, highly qualified physical therapists often specialize in treating specific issues or age groups to be able to better help their patients. If you require physical therapy in Dix Hills, contact us us at Island Sports Physical Therapy and see how we can help you attain optimal wellness.
WHAT IS THE MAIN FOCUS OF PHYSICAL THERAPY
Your doctor may recommend physical therapy services if you have recently been injured or are dealing with a health condition. It may seem scary or unnecessary based on your physical condition, but it is a recovery technique that supports all kinds of patients and can provide long-term benefits. This is because experts in physical therapy near Dix Hills are not just working to reduce your pain and symptoms but helping their patients improve their range of motion and strength. Island Sports Physical Therapy is here to help you reach your recovery goals, regardless of your condition!
WHAT IS PHYSICAL THERAPY?
Physical therapy is a recovery and rehabilitation technique that can be used on its own or with other treatment options. It can support a wide range of patients, from those with sports injuries to those with neurological conditions. Because of this variety, physical therapists can be found in many settings. These may include:
- Private practices
- Nursing homes
- Rehabilitation centers
- Fitness locations
WHO GOES TO PHYSICAL THERAPY?
Physical therapy can be helpful to just about anyone looking to treat a physical issue. Some common conditions that may react well to physical therapy include:
- Sports injuries – strain, sprain,
- Pediatric conditions – muscular dystrophy, cerebral palsy
- Musculoskeletal dysfunction – low back pain, jaw pain, spine specialist, postural
- Cardiopulmonary conditions – cystic fibrosis, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease
- Female health dysfunction – urinary incontinence
- Neurological conditions – stroke, multiple sclerosis, Parkinson’s disease, brain injury, spinal cord injury
- Skin conditions – burns, wounds
Whether or not they recommended physical therapy, it is always best to speak with your doctor before starting. They can help find an expert in physical therapy in Dix Hills best suited for your needs.
The specific benefits of physical therapy will vary for every patient and their condition. Generally, physical therapy can help with the following:
- Reduce pain
- Full range and Improve mobility
- Improve balance/prevent falls
- Increase strength
- Increase athletic performance
- Prevent further injury
- best possible care
- strength and endurance
WHAT DOES PHYSICAL THERAPY LOOK LIKE?
As you start physical therapy in Dix Hills, you will likely receive a physical evaluation. This will allow the physical therapist to learn about your medical condition and current movement. You will then receive a diagnosis and begin creating a recovery plan. As for the physical work, techniques will vary based on your condition and goals. Common techniques include:
- Physical manipulation
- Heat and cold therapy
- manual therapy
- Light therapy – uses lights and lasers
- Electrical stimulation – can reduce pain or engage muscles
- Iontophoresis – lessens inflammation by applying medicine through electrical current
As part of your best physical therapy in Dix Hills, you will likely receive information on how to work towards your recovery at home, such as exercises you can do yourself. It is important to address any confusion you may have, as incorrectly moving your body’s could cause further injury with effective treatment.
PHYSICAL THERAPY IN DIX HILLS AT ISLAND SPORTS PT
No matter the condition, our experts in dix hills sports therapy near deer park are here to help you. The Long Island Sports Physical Therapy team is equipped to work collaboratively to create a treatment plan that supports healing and makes you comfortable! Contact us today to learn more and to request an appointment!
Did you know that more than 795,000 Americans yearly suffer from a stroke? Well, recovering from a stroke can be just as daunting as that number sounds. Rehabilitation after a stroke can often be a lengthy process. Most stroke patients are trying to recover parts of their brain that have been impaired. It can affect not only their speech but also their cognitive, sensory, and motor skills. Putting in the work is vital for stroke patients, but also having the right support can make a huge difference. If you have been searching for physical therapy in Dix Hills, contact Island Sports Physical Therapy. We offer a wide range of services and rehabilitation physical therapy for stroke patients. This can make a huge difference in your recovery process.
HOW DOES THE BRAIN RECOVER AFTER A STROKE?
There are several possible ways that stroke patients can regain function in their brain:
- Changing the way certain tasks are performed and completed.
- If blood flow were restored to certain parts of the brain, cells would be able to begin functioning the same way, again, over time.
- Certain parts of the brain may step in and support the areas affected or damaged by a stroke.
THE SKILLS YOU CAN RECOVER
The overall goal of rehabilitation is to regain the normal function that a patient had before the event of a stroke. Some of the skills you can work to achieve through rehab include:
- Speech Skills – Strokes can often cause a language impairment called Aphasia. This condition affects how one speaks and formulates sentences. Aphasia can also make physically speaking very difficult.
- Speech and language board certified therapists can help those suffering from aphasia regain control of their muscles. This can, in turn, help them be able to talk more clearly and coherently.
- Cognitive Skills – Stroke patients can also experience loss of judgment, impaired thinking and reasoning abilities, and memory loss.
- It can also alter some of an individual’s personality traits. Patients care recovering from a stroke can seem more withdrawn or quiet than their usual self, or vice-versa.
- With the loss of judgment comes the ability to act more careless or recklessly. This poses a safety hazard to both themselves and others. Physical therapy and occupational therapists can help stroke patients regain their cognitive abilities through specific exercises and repetition.
- Motor Skills – After undergoing a stroke, it can cause certain muscles on one side of the body to be affected. This can make an individual’s sense of coordination weak and even make it difficult for them to perform simple functions, such as walking.
- Physical therapy can help strengthen these muscles, therefore increasing overall body mechanics for balance and coordination.
- Sensory Skills – Sensory inputs such as the ability to feel hot/cold surfaces or pressure can also be affected after a stroke. This can also pose a safety hazard, making physical therapy extremely helpful. Therapists can work with you to help you adjust to the changes and increase your sensory function.
HOW CAN PHYSICAL THERAPY IN DIX HILLS HELP ME?
If you or someone you know specific needs physical therapy in Dix Hills, post-stroke, Island Sports Physical Therapy might be the place for you. We offer services ranging from post-stroke physical therapy to education and fitness plans to help get you acclimated back to your old self. Contact us today to see how Island Sports Physical Therapy with compassionate care can help you!
PHYSICAL THERAPY IN DIX HILLS AFTER A TORN ACL
Your anterior cruciate ligament, or ACL, is an essential ligament that provides stability to the knee joint. This ligament is one of the most commonly injured areas of the knee, so proper care and precautions are vital for maintenance. Regardless of how you sustained a tear in your ACL, our Island Sports Physical Therapy team will be there for you throughout the recovery process. We offer personalized treatment plans for a variety of sports-related injuries and other conditions.
Most commonly, an ACL tear requires surgery. For example, if your knee buckles when putting weight on it or if you are an athlete, your doctor will most likely determine that surgery is necessary for proper treatment. During the procedure, the surgeon will replace the ligament and use a graft. This graft will be comprised of tendon taken from another part of the body, usually the knee or hamstring. In most cases, you will be able to return home later that day, depending upon the severity and the preferences of yourself and the surgeon. Once the surgery has been completed, the next steps towards recovery will be to partake in physical therapy in Dix Hills.
LENGTH OF RECOVERY:
Depending on the severity of the injury, recovery time will vary from patient to patient. For some, the typical recovery period is six to nine months after surgery. For others, it may take between eight months and a full year to make a complete recovery. At Island Sports Physical Therapy, you can undergo physical therapy in Dix Hills to help expedite your recovery time and get you back to doing what you love.
TREATMENT WITH PHYSICAL THERAPY IN DIX HILLS:
Taking part in physical therapy after surgery will help to restore strength and stability in the knee. The goals of physical therapy in Dix Hills are divided into four phases, which are outlined below:
- Helping To Heal the Knee: Phase one is all about protection and healing. The main goals are to start the process of restoring range of motion and regaining correct usage of your quadriceps muscles. You will learn to walk properly with your crutches and may even receive neuromuscular electrical stimulation to improve your ability to gently contract your knee.
- Tossing the Crutches: The goal of this phase is to limit the use of crutches while still protecting the knee. During this phase, exercises to improve control of your quadriceps and increase the strength of your hips and hamstrings will be incorporated into your routine. Hopefully, performing these exercises will allow you to begin walking normally again.
- Getting Stronger: During this phase, the goal is to build up enough strength to begin walking or even lightly jogging. This will be the time where your physical therapist will test the integrity of the repaired knee. If you are pain-free and it is determined that your knee is stable, you may be allowed to begin jogging.
- Almost Back To Normal: In this final phase of physical therapy, running and normal physical activity can slowly be incorporated back into your life. However, it is important to remember not to overdo this, as pushing too hard can often reverse any progress you have made.
ISLAND SPORTS PHYSICAL THERAPY IN DIX HILLS:
It is important to listen to your body throughout the rehabilitation and recovery process. Some patients may be ahead of schedule while recovering, while for others it may take longer than usual. At Island Sports Physical Therapy, our team will work to develop the perfect recovery plan to get you back on your feet. We can help you reach your recovery goals within a safe and appropriate timeframe. Don’t hesitate to schedule an appointment with us to begin your journey to recovery today!