How Can We Prevent Slips and Falls This Winter?
Winter is a season filled with snowfall and outdoor winter-activities. Even the most robust winter enthusiasts however need to understand the potential dangers this season can bring. With the snowy and icy conditions, slips and falls become a common issue. Our team at Island Sports Physical Therapy understands that a slip and fall can sometimes have devastating effects. That is why we’d like to offer some tips on preventing them from occurring this winter.
Slip And Fall Injuries
As previously stated, the amount of people who suffer from slips and falls during the wintertime can sometimes be more extensive than any other point in the year. That is because winter can bring with it some hazardous conditions. Icy and snow-covered walkways make finding traction difficult, leading to the potential for falls. When they take place, the injuries sustained will likely require the help of a trained medical team. Examples of the typical slip and fall injuries our team is well versed in treating include:
- Broken bones.
- Muscle strains and sprains.
- Hip fractures.
- Shoulder issues.
- Back problems.
Tips For Avoiding Slips And Falls
At Island Sports Physical Therapy, our team will be happy to treat you for any injuries sustained during a slip and fall this winter. However, we understand that it’s always best to avoid an injury from ever taking place rather than seeking treatment after the fact. That is why we’d like to offer some tips on how you can stay upright, even in the most extreme winter conditions. By following the below advice, you increase the chances of getting through this time of year pain-free:
- Always walk slowly and carefully in winter conditions.
- Wear boots that are slip-resistant and offer firm traction.
- Be extra cautious when stepping out of a vehicle.
- When entering a home or building, inspect your walking area to see if it looks slippery.
- Avoid carrying items or walking with your hands in your pockets, as it reduces your ability to catch your balance.
- Watch out for black ice.
- Walk as flat-footed as possible over areas you think may be slippery.
- Steer clear of uneven surfaces when possible.
- If your walking path contains visible ice and snow, consider trying a different route.
Balance And Fall Prevention Services
Although people need to take extra precautions during the winter, the reality is that slips and falls can happen at any time. In some cases, falls may even be caused by a medical problem or just be a simple unfortunate effect of aging. Our team at Island Sports Physical Therapy offers balance and fall prevention therapy for patients in need to help people stay on their feet all year round. This is achieved through a variety of ways, including some of the below:
- Teaching the importance of body awareness.
- Using exercises to promote strength and flexibility in weight-bearing areas.
- Increasing coordination in the patient.
- Training to improve joint strength and stability.
Benefits Of Working With Our Team
Our main goal is to keep our patients healthy, no matter what time of year it is currently. Choosing to work with our therapists to help improve your balance and prevent slips and falls comes with an array of benefits. Some of the benefits of doing so can include the following:
- Preventing serious injuries.
- Allowing patients to keep their independence.
- Improving reaction time in patients.
- Having the ability to travel through wintery conditions.
Contact Island Sports Physical Therapy!
Patients should not let the fact that it is winter scare them from walking around and traveling. By following the advice we laid out, you significantly increase the chances of making it through this season without any issues. However, even after being careful, our staff at Island Sports Physical Therapy understands that slips and falls can still occur. If you become injured due to one, we’ll provide you with the treatment methods needed to get back to full strength. To schedule your first appointment, contact our team today.