From your shoulders down to your feet, the body is made up of many complex bones and muscles that work together in perfect synchronization. These movements are necessary to carry out regular day to day actions. Suffering through injuries as a result of sports or any physical activity can prohibit you from engaging in daily activities. If you are an athlete or an injured person that is in pain due to a complication with these involved muscles in your body, check out Island Sports Physical Therapy. With the help of specially trained therapists, they’re able to provide amazing orthopedic rehabilitation for several injuries, including rotator cuff repair. ISPT is among the leading locations for quality physical therapy in Huntington, NY.
What Are The Symptoms Of Rotator Cuff Injury?
- Weakness – if it is difficult for you to raise your arm over your head or extend your arm out all the way, you may have injured your rotator cuff. Try reaching behind your back, while keeping a lookout for sharp pain; this can identify if you have suffered the injury.
- Crepitus – which is the clicking or cracking and popping sounds of any kind. This indicates that the body currently has minimal cartilage protecting your shoulder. Low cartilage will make you more susceptible to rotator cuff injury.
- Swelling and Inflammation – constant swelling near the rotator cuff can be an immediate warning sign, especially if the swelling has shown little signs of dissipating.
- Limited flexibility – also known as stiff shoulder, where your rotator cuff locks in place and is unable to move.
How Do Rotator Cuff Injuries Develop?
Rotator cuff injuries are for the most part related to trauma that occurs in the shoulder. This injury is primarily associated with baseball pitchers because of the unorthodox throwing motions they engage in when pitching off the mound. Other catalysts for rotator cuff injury can include the following:
- Trauma – could be the result of breaking a fall, weightlifting, or pretty much any extreme stress on the rotator cuff.
- Degeneration – as your body begins to age, continuous wear and tear will become inevitable. Over time, people tend to over exhaust their rotator cuff and eventually create detrimental complications.
- Shoulder impingement – where there is a structural abnormality in your back that causes nerves to pinch in your body.
What Are The Benefits Of Physical Therapy in Huntington, NY?
Physical Therapists may aid you in the following treatments such as:
- Functional mobility – getting you to be flexible again in your rotator cuff so you may perform your usual tasks.
- Balance training – balance is an integral aspect of recovery because it shows that your rotator cuff is healing adequately. A physical therapist can provide you with many exercises to aid in balance recovery.
- Soft tissue mobilization – getting your muscles active by promoting movements that will be beneficial to an expedited recovery process.
By engaging in these exercise regimens, you might be able to strengthen your rotator cuff up enough to the point where surgery is no longer a necessity.
Orthopedic treatment helps aid many musculoskeletal problems. If you are searching for physical therapy in Huntington, NY come visit us at Island Sports Physical Therapy today for an appointment and consultation.