Exercises For Arthritis In Your Knees
Arthritis is one of the most common causes of knee pain. The condition itself is often very uncomfortable and can be tricky to deal with. It can make just taking a step or walking to the bathroom extremely painful, and nobody wants that. Fortunately, with the help and guidance of physical therapy in Huntington, you can learn how to minimize your pain and get back to your day to day life. At Island Sports Physical Therapy, our team is here to help you during your appointments as well as offer you tips and techniques to use while at home to treat your arthritis.
Typically the symptoms of arthritis will progress over time. The location of your arthritis in your body will determine which types of symptoms you have. No matter where you have it though, it is important to start treatment sooner rather than later. Some of the more common symptoms of knee arthritis may include:
- Pain when doing activities
- A small range of motion
- Swelling or stiffness of joint
- Tenderness in knee
- Deformity of joint
- Feeling that your knee is about to, “give out”
One of the best ways to help reduce the pain of knee arthritis is to regularly stretch and engage in exercise. No matter how simple the exercise may be, the benefits will still be there. While at physical therapy in Huntington, a PT may provide you with some of the following exercises to ease the pain of your symptoms:
- Straight leg raise – helps build up muscle strength to assist with weak joints
- Seated hip march – this will strengthen your hips/thigh muscles; which is beneficial for performing everyday tasks.
- Pillow squeeze – will strengthen the inside of your legs which will help support your knees.
- Sit to stand – will make standing easier on your knees.
- One leg balance – this can help you bend over/help get in and out of cars easier.
- Step-ups – will strengthen your legs so you can easily climb steps
- Walking – this can ease your joint pain, strengthen your leg muscles, and improve your posture.
- Swimming – will take the weight off painful joints.
Performing these exercises both at home and at physical therapy in Huntington will help decrease your arthritis pain and get you back on your feet!
How can physical therapy in Huntington help?
If you suffer from arthritis in your knee and are looking to relieve the pain, look no further. At Island Sports Physical Therapy in Huntington, our team can help you learn exercises to do in and out of therapy. We will examine your knee to determine how we can create a treatment plan that’ll lead you to success. So don’t suffer through the pain of arthritis and get back to living your life to the fullest! Contact us today to set up your first appointment.