Since 1985, we have treated patients with various forms of spinal disease and conditions at Island Sports Physical Therapy. Whether you have a bulging or degenerating disc, pinched nerves, cervical radiculopathy, tight musculoskeletal ailment or arthritis, we are able to provide you with the spinal care that will put you on the path of wellness.
Here at Island Sports Physical therapy, we provide our patients the care they need and expect from our dedicated team of physical therapists. For over 30 years, we have treated patients suffering from various spinal injuries and conditions living all over Long Island.
No matter your injury or condition, our first step is to perform an evaluation. Spinal injuries are serious and one of the most damaging orthopedic injuries. Whether it is coping with a nonoperative spinal condition or post-spine surgery, the rehabilitation process is a key component to your success. Rehabilitation helps prevent any future complications and helps you to regain many physical functions lost due to the injury. Here at Island Sports Physical Therapy, we focus on providing you with the spinal care you need in order to have an effective recovery. Our goal with spinal rehabilitation is to:
- Help you improve physical function and mobility
- Strengthen the supportive muscles
- Develop skills to perform daily activities
Our physical therapists focus mainly on the lower extremity function and on the difficulties with mobility. We understand that every patient differs in symptoms, that is why we cater to your specific needs and personalize the treatment to be tolerable for you. We use modality therapy, hands-on care, and strengthening equipment for treatment options.
Physical therapy includes passive therapies as well as active therapies. Passive therapies are ones that do not require the patient to participate. Some examples include spinal manipulation or ultrasound. Passive therapy includes options such as:
- Manual therapy involves restoring mobility, the range of motion to stiff joints, as well as alleviating pain.
- Ultrasound is a noninvasive therapy used to manage back and neck pain by transmitting ultrasound waves into the underlying tissue.
- Ice and heat therapies are when cold treatments are applied to the affected area to reduce swelling, followed by applying heat to increase blood circulation. Increased blood flow is important for the transportation of healing nutrients and waste removal.
Active therapies are therapeutic exercises that are designed to increase flexibility and strength. Active therapies include:
- Therapeutic exercises are personalized exercise programs to meet the patient’s specific needs. Benefits of therapeutic exercises include stiffness relief, improved flexibility, better balance and coordination, and improved strength.
COMMON SPINAL INJURIES TREATED
At Island Sports Physical Therapy, our therapists are well trained in spinal injuries.
Some of the more common ones treated include:
- Neck or lower back pain
- Degenerative disc disease
- Post-operative rehabilitation
For more information on our spinal rehabilitation, or to book an appointment with our physical therapists, contact our office today!