Physical Therapy in East Northport
One of the best ways to relieve discomfort during pregnancy is through physical therapy. Over the course of a pregnancy, there can be a number of consistent pains that arise, and finding a safe and effective way to relieve that pain is important to keep you feeling relaxed and comfortable. If you are seeking physical therapy in East Northport, our physical therapists at Island Sports Physical Therapy will be able to offer you the care you need in order to relieve your pain.
Common types of pain during pregnancy:
- Back pain– Around 50-70% of women will experience some type of back pain during the course of their pregnancy. Over time, poor alignment increases muscle tightness which creates increased stress on the back muscles.
- Neck pain– In combination with back pain, neck pain is also very common during pregnancy. Putting stress on the back muscles also results in increased stress on the muscles of the neck.
- Leg/foot pain– During pregnancy, there is an increase in fluid in the tissues of your body. The blood will tend to pool or remain in the leg and foot area rather than circulating throughout the entire body, causing pain and discomfort.
Causes of pain:
- Change in hormones
- Additional weight gain
- Poor posture
- Poor sitting position
- Poor quality sleep
- Poor circulation
At Island Sports Physical Therapy, our therapists will be able to relieve your back or neck pain with spinal rehabilitation. Spinal rehabilitation will help to strengthen your supportive muscles and help improve physical function and mobility. If you are seeking physical therapy in East Northport and believe spinal rehabilitation may be the right choice for you, our physical therapists will be able to personalize a treatment plan that will fit each and every one of your needs.
How to prevent pain on your own:
- Maintain a good posture
- Apply ice or heat to areas of discomfort
- Perform various exercises or stretches
- Wear shoes with extra support
Physical therapy is a great option for relieving these pains during pregnancy. Our physical therapists will provide you with exercises and techniques that can help you maintain better posture. We offer a wide variety of services that can not only ease your discomfort but also help to keep your health and fitness levels up over the course of your pregnancy. If you are seeking physical therapy in East Northport, Island Sports Physical Therapy can help. Be sure to contact us today in order to make an appointment!
Hip pain can become debilitating, especially because the hips are a major joint in the body that allows us to move our legs freely. The hip joint itself is the body’s largest joint, supporting half of the body’s weight, making its functionality highly important. With the right physical therapy, it is very promising that your hip pain can be reduced. If you are looking for physical therapy in Glen Cove, contact us today to make an appointment so we can help resolve your discomfort.
When a patient complains of pain originating from the hip area, it is usually due to one of the following causes:
- Arthritis: a painful condition involving joint inflammation and cartilage destruction.
- Bursitis: inflammation of the bursae (sacs of fluid meant to decrease friction during movement) causing pain and restricting movement.
- Fracture: a crack or fragmentation of the bone.
- Cartilage tear: cartilage can tear and break down over time especially when it is repeatedly twisted, this injury is common among athletes that engage in activities that involve a twisting motion in the leg.
Oftentimes hip pain can accompany other symptoms such as the following:
- Limping: this is often due to the pain you are experiencing on one side of the body, causing you to favor the other side when walking.
- Swelling and tenderness
- Pain on the outside and/or inside of the hip
- Sleep disturbances due to pain in the hip: sleeping on your side may prove difficult if you’re feeling pain and tenderness in one or both hips.
- Groin pain
- Reduced range of motion
If you think you may be suffering from hip pain due to one of the aforementioned causes, Island Sports Physical Therapy in Glen Cove could help you start your improvement process.
How can physical therapy improve my condition/lessen my hip pain?
Physical therapy employs a variety of techniques to treat injuries to soft tissues such as cartilage, tendons, and muscles. Certain treatments can improve your condition by increasing your range of motion and treating pain. Our physical therapists may use the following modes of treatment to help you:
- Application of heat therapy.
- Specific stretches can be used to improve flexibility and mobility.
- Resistance training and low-impact exercises can increase strength and reduce pain.
- Joint mobilization techniques can increase mobility in those with arthritis.
Physical therapy as a treatment method can be very helpful and effective for any hip pain you may be suffering from. If you are looking for physical therapy in Glen Cove, click here to make an appointment with our team at Island Sports Physical Therapy.
Men’s Health Month
Did you know that June is National Men’s Health Month? At Island Sports Physical Therapy, we are here to educate you on everything you need to know about men’s health. It’s important to provide additional awareness of preventable health problems to get early detection and treatment of certain injuries and diseases such as heart disease, hypertension, obesity, and diabetes. Physical therapy in Huntington, NY can make sure you understand your overall health and what preventative steps you can take.
Common Injuries to be Aware of:
- Plantar Fasciitis – this injury is caused by repeated stress on the feet. This is most common for runners and occurs when the tendon that runs along the arch of the foot becomes strained.
- Groin Pulls – this is a common injury for athletes playing hockey, soccer, football, or baseball. Groin pulls occur when too much strain is placed on your muscles in your groin and thigh area.
- ACL Tears – this is one of the most severe injuries and typically requires surgery. This usually occurs from hyperextension or sudden deceleration which causes stress on the ACL ligament. Not being properly trained and having a weakened hamstring can put you at a higher risk for a tear.
These are only a few injuries to be aware of and depending on your sport and your health it is important to be fully trained and aware of the preventative steps you can take. If you want to avoid a future injury, or if you are recovering from a previous one, it’s important to know the following:
- Warm-up before your workout, to increase your blood flow and flexibility.
- Early detection is always important, so if you suspect that you might have an injury, reporting it could be what you need to prevent the injury from worsening.
- If you are feeling tired while playing, take a rest. Working out while fatigued can cause further injury and increases your risks.
- Avoid doing too much too soon, as this can put further stress on your body, especially if you have not played in a while.
Should you suffer from any type of injury, physical therapy in Huntington, NY is here to help. We offer many services for physical therapy for athletes, and we will make sure you get the proper therapy that is right for you and your injury. We can show you specific exercises that can increase your mobility, help you regain strength, and work toward your rehabilitation goals. National Men’s Health Month is important at Island Sports Physical Therapy and we want to make sure you understand your health and educate you on how you can take better care of yourself. Learning more about your body and how to take care of it is the first step. Contact us today!
Physical Therapy in Huntington
Do you know the signs of hyperextension? At Island Sports Physical Therapy located in Huntington, East Northport, Nesconset, Glen Cove, East Meadow, and Coram, we can not only help treat any injuries you incur but also prevent them from happening in the first place. If you are looking for physical therapy in Huntington to rehabilitate your sports injury, we can help you.
- Dull to sharp pain when you move
- Muscle spasms
- Localized pain
If you have hyperextended a joint, our physical therapists at Island Sports Physical Therapy will tell you why and how we can treat it. Often times, the best way to treat your hyperextension is simply by resting the area. Use ice packs for 10 to 20 minutes at a time for a few days following your injury (do not use heat pads as this can cause swelling). If the pain continues after 2-3 days, make an appointment with physical therapy in Huntington in order to start treatment.
At Island Sports Physical Therapy, we treat all kinds of injuries including overuse and hyperextension. During your first physical therapy appointment, we will evaluate your injury and overall body function. Once we’ve ascertained its nature, we will work with you on a variety of exercises and manual therapy techniques in order to improve your muscle function. The goal of manual therapy and other physical therapy modalities is to reduce inflammation and promote proper healing. In conjunction with exercises, which intend to strengthen the supportive muscle groups, you are optimizing your healing. Each patient treatment plan is personalized so that you can heal most efficiently and effectively.
Our team at Island Sports Physical Therapy understands that hyperextending a joint can be quite painful. Because of this, we take prevention seriously. If you are an athlete dealing with joint pain, contact us for physical therapy in Huntington at Island Sports Physical Therapy today!
Hamstring injuries are some of the most common but dreaded injuries by athletes. This type of injury can be quite debilitating, sometimes lingering for weeks at a time. At Island Sports Physical Therapy in East Northport, we understand the nature of hamstring injuries in order to diagnose, treat, and prevent them from reoccurring. With locations in East Northport, Huntington, Nesconset, Glen Cove, East Meadow, and Coram, we are conveniently located to meet your needs.
What Are The Hamstrings?
The hamstrings are a group of three muscles that run along the back of the upper leg. These muscles work in concert with the quadriceps, which are the muscles in the front upper leg. Motion to lift the upper leg is created by the relaxation and expansion of these two major muscle groups.
How Does Hamstring Straining Happen?
Muscle strain occurs when an extraordinary load is placed on the muscle, forcing it to work harder than usual. In the case of hamstrings, the following can cause straining:
- Muscle imbalance – The quads are naturally stronger than the hamstrings. Motion that demands more work can strain these muscles. A good example is fast backpedaling.
- Inadequate warming up – Sudden and violent expansion of muscle can cause injury. This is what happens, for example, an athlete puts on a burst of speed without warming up.
- Fatigue – Muscle expansion and contraction occur as a result of electrochemical reactions in the muscles. In fatigued muscles, this happens at a lower level. Working fatigued muscles puts a load that they cannot efficiently handle, which causes strain.
Straining and injuring the hamstrings can be avoided in a number of ways:
It is crucial to warm-up before any game or runs. This makes the hamstrings more flexible and pliable to sudden and explosive movements. At Island Sports Physical Therapy in East Northport, we can show you proper warm-up exercises in order to prevent hamstring strains. Below are some examples:
- Back muscles warm-ups – Back muscles and hamstrings share the load in the lower body. Warming up the back muscles benefits the hamstrings as well. These exercises include lumbar rotation, flexion, and side flexion stretches.
- Glute muscles – The muscles in the buttocks help anchor the hamstrings. These can be warmed up by basic glute stretches and foam roller stretch exercises.
- Nerve warm-up – This involves warming up the nervous system that causes the correct firing of the hamstrings. Slump leg stretches and swings are ideal for nerve warm up.
This involves training the hamstrings to be more active in concert with the quads, making them stronger. Exercises that can help with this include body bridges and drinking bird exercises.
Adequate rest and recovery
This allows the hamstring muscle cells to repair and rebuild. A good recovery program involves adequate hydration, nutrition, and sleep. Ice compresses can be used on fatigued and strained muscles. Strained hamstrings should be left to rest using a crutch if possible, to avoid further injury.
Shoulder Injuries In Baseball Players
Any set back where an athlete is unable to play or practice their sport can be detrimental to their future career. Shoulder injuries in aspiring baseball players are important to treat immediately so the athlete is able to make a speedy recovery. At Island Sports Physical Therapy in East Northport, Huntington, Glen Cove, East Meadow, Nesconset, and Coram, we understand the importance of not only a quick recovery but also a fully healed and improved shoulder.
Overhand throwing which is a large component of baseball, places a high amount of stress on the shoulder. At Island Sports Physical Therapy in East Northport, our physical therapists have found that specifically, this stress targets the scapula, humerus, and clavicle. In baseball, pitching is the most common cause of shoulder injuries due to the nature of throwing as well as the speed and repetitiveness of the activity.
Shoulder fatigue is a common symptom in baseball players. Island Sports Physical Therapy in East Northport has found that pitchers and baseball players, in general, can loosen the ligaments that attach the shoulder to the muscles. This causes the joint to lose its stability and this can ultimately cause a shoulder injury in the baseball player.
Island Sports Physical Therapy’s team of physical therapists recommend that when an aspiring baseball player has a shoulder injury, they should treat the injury with these tips:
- Ice the injury
- Rest the injury
- Stretch the shoulder and perform shoulder exercises under the guidance of a physical therapist
- Surgery – If the injury does not improve with physical therapy and at-home care.
Island Sports Physical Therapy uses physical therapy techniques to restore the shoulder, however, depending on the severity of the injury it may require surgery. If you are an aspiring baseball player and are suffering from a shoulder injury schedule an appointment at Island Sports Physical Therapy in East Northport to ensure that you are able to get back in the game as soon as possible. Here at Island Sports Physical Therapy located in East Northport, Huntington, Glen Cove, East Meadow, Nesconset, and Coram, our patients are our main concern. To schedule an appointment please call 631-462-9595 or click here to schedule an appointment online.
Long Island Softball Sports Training
Softball season is here! If you or your child plays softball, you need to make sure you are physically ready for the sport. At Island Sports Physical Therapy, our Long Island softball sports training will help you to prevent softball injuries as well as improve overall performance. Through a wide variety of activities, you will learn proper and efficient motioning in order to reduce the chance of injury.
If you or your child has suffered a softball-related injury, Island Sports Physical Therapy can also treat it. We can give you an evaluation, and determine which areas of your body need attention.
The most common softball injuries occur in the:
These injuries often vary from each field position as overuse of specific joints and body regions is a common culprit. For pitchers, shoulder tendinitis is common, while catchers may develop back and knee problems. Position players can suffer from shoulder and elbow problems. No matter which of these injuries you or your child suffers from, rest and ice are beneficial for reducing pain. If pain and discomfort persist, our physical therapists on Long Island can show you what exercises are best for you, in regards to reducing the pain and increasing the range of motion.
Another common softball injury is ankle sprains. These happen often from quick stops and starts of base running, but they usually happen from sliding onto the bases. If your child suffers an ankle sprain, it is important to let the ankle rest. We at Island Sports Physical Therapy can show you the proper rehabilitation techniques for your sprained ankle.
With our Long Island softball sports training, you thankfully do not have to travel far to find the proper care for any sports-related injuries you or your child might have. With locations in Nassau and Suffolk, we are poised to serve any and all of your sports-related needs. We want to ensure you or your child a safe upcoming season. Contact us today!
Swimming can be a fun activity or sport to participate in, however, it is also one of the most physically exhausting as well and as a result, there are a number of common injuries that can occur from swimming. If you feel that you may have sustained an injury from swimming contacting a physical therapist is a good place to start. If you are looking for physical therapy in East Northport, Island Sports Physical Therapy is here to help with any injury that you may have sustained from swimming.
There are a number of different injuries that you can get from swimming, especially if you do so regularly. A few of the most common swimming injuries are:
- Limited range of motion – if you are having a tough time moving your shoulder in a normal manner without pain or discomfort, you may need to contact a physical therapist in order to have them identify the problem and help you recover from it.
- Shoulder pain – there are a number of reasons why shoulder pain can occur when swimming. One could be caused by overuse. Another reason could be a more serious reason such as a strain or pulled muscle or even a tear.
- Swimmer’s shoulder refers to inflammation in the shoulder and can lead to limited joint mobility and weakening of the muscles. This can be caused by overusing or overworking the shoulders or poor or improper technique when training.
These common injuries are important to recognize and work to prevent. Be mindful of how you train and practice in order to prevent any downtime. If you are experiencing any of these common injuries you should contact a physical therapist in East Northport. Island Sports Physical Therapy has locations in East Northport, Huntington, Glen Cove, East Meadow, Smithtown, and Coram. Contact us today!
Are you trying out for the baseball team? Or is your child thinking of playing baseball this year, but is not sure where to start? Island Sports Physical Therapy is here to help you ace you or your child’s baseball tryout. Aside from helping you prepare mentally and physically, we will assist you in making sure you’re ready for the season.
One important thing to remember first is wearing the right gear. Wear baseball pants, a light athletic shirt, and a forward-facing baseball cap. If you show up looking the part and wearing the proper gear, this will ensure the coach knows you are serious about playing. First impressions are always important, so also be sure to bring the right equipment as well clothes. Make sure that your equipment is in good condition because using worn-out equipment can hinder your safety as well as others. Also, be sure that you or your child’s baseball bat is the right size, making sure that the baseball bat is proportional to height, weight, and arm length.
Aside from showing up to try out with the right clothing, you should also show up with the attitude. If you or your child gets performance anxiety in sports, seeking social approval is what often leads to failure. Instead, focus on the positive and do the best that you can. Perfection is great but even professional players make mistakes.
If you are worried about you or your child’s sports performance, here at Island Sports Physical Therapy, we will show you how to best prepare for a baseball tryout physically. With our sports-specific training, we can provide the right exercises geared towards your physical condition and the nature of the sport. Once we have given a fitness evaluation, we will be able to provide a custom-tailored solution to improve your game allowing you to have a healthier and more enjoyable season for everybody involved. Make an appointment today!
This winter, it’s important to take the necessary precautions and preparations to bracing the harsh conditions this season brings. Whether it’s ice or snow, this season brings many injuries that can seriously sideline you if you’re not being careful. One million Americans are victims of slip and fall accidents annually, injuring and incapacitating them. Staying healthy and safe this season can prevent the possibility of hurting yourself this winter. If you’ve been disabled by these winter conditions, you can get help from physical therapy in Huntington at Island Sports Physical Therapy, with locations also in East Northport, Nesconset, Coram, East Meadow, and Glen Cove.
Preventing Winter Injuries
If you’re looking to prevent injury and come out on top this winter, follow these tips:
Properly stretch before exercising
Because the winter offers a colder environment this time of the year, giving yourself a few minutes to stretch out your muscles can reduce the risk of tearing or pulling muscles.
Injuries related to slipping and falling are usually related to slipping on ice in your driveway. Salting ice-prone areas before and after snowfall will prevent the chances of an accident.
Use a helmet when playing winter sports
Sports like skiing and snowboarding are fast-paced activities that can result in falling. Wearing a helmet allows you to avoid any head injuries.
Change your route
If you’re running outdoors, be sure to study different routes and paths that you can take. Your usual path may be covered in ice, so it’s important to alternate your course to avoid slipping and falling.
A simple change in routine is all you need to properly avoid any injury this season. Ice and snow are obvious culprits for winter injuries, and whether it’s changing your exercise path or taking time to properly prepare yourself for the outdoors, simple precautions will help you for the long-term this winter. At Island Sports Physical Therapy in Huntington, we can treat your discomfort if you’ve recently been injured.
For more information, contact us today!