June is National Men’s Health Month
Men’s Health Month
Did you know that June is National Men’s Health Month? At Island Sports Physical Therapy, we are here to educate you on everything you need to know about men’s health. It’s important to provide additional awareness of preventable health problems to get early detection and treatment of certain injuries and diseases such as heart disease, hypertension, obesity, and diabetes. Physical therapy in Huntington, NY can make sure you understand your overall health and what preventative steps you can take.
Common Injuries to be Aware of:
- Plantar Fasciitis – this injury is caused by repeated stress on the feet. This is most common for runners and occurs when the tendon that runs along the arch of the foot becomes strained.
- Groin Pulls – this is a common injury for athletes playing hockey, soccer, football, or baseball. Groin pulls occur when too much strain is placed on your muscles in your groin and thigh area.
- ACL Tears – this is one of the most severe injuries and typically requires surgery. This usually occurs from hyperextension or sudden deceleration which causes stress on the ACL ligament. Not being properly trained and having a weakened hamstring can put you at a higher risk for a tear.
These are only a few injuries to be aware of and depending on your sport and your health it is important to be fully trained and aware of the preventative steps you can take. If you want to avoid a future injury, or if you are recovering from a previous one, it’s important to know the following:
- Warm-up before your workout, to increase your blood flow and flexibility.
- Early detection is always important, so if you suspect that you might have an injury, reporting it could be what you need to prevent the injury from worsening.
- If you are feeling tired while playing, take a rest. Working out while fatigued can cause further injury and increases your risks.
- Avoid doing too much too soon, as this can put further stress on your body, especially if you have not played in a while.
Should you suffer from any type of injury, physical therapy in Huntington, NY is here to help. We offer many services for physical therapy for athletes, and we will make sure you get the proper therapy that is right for you and your injury. We can show you specific exercises that can increase your mobility, help you regain strength, and work toward your rehabilitation goals. National Men’s Health Month is important at Island Sports Physical Therapy and we want to make sure you understand your health and educate you on how you can take better care of yourself. Learning more about your body and how to take care of it is the first step. Contact us today!