Geriatric Therapy – Overview
Discomforts that originate from growing older can be rather burdensome for geriatric patients. As we age, complications such as osteoporosis and arthritis tend to develop more frequently. These degenerative diseases progressively worsen through the duration of time. If you’re a geriatric patient and you’re looking to heal degenerative complications with non-drug treatment, contact Island Sports Physical Therapy in Nesconset for further assistance. Our team specializes in geriatric rehabilitation, providing continued benefits for a wide range of patients.
Are you or a loved one in search of a geriatric physical therapist? At Island Sports Physical Therapy, we offer an excellent program. As we age, we tend to grow more dependent on medications to feel our best. However, this is not necessary. Physical therapy is often a better alternative than medication, especially in geriatrics.
Physical Therapy For Chronic Illness and Disease:
As people get older, the risk for certain diseases and illnesses, unfortunately, tends to increase. Luckily, physical therapy can be used to help geriatric patients manage these different chronic illnesses and diseases successfully. Physical therapy can help aid:
- Arthritis: Physical therapy uses techniques to help reduce any discomfort and prevent any future pain that may occur as a result of arthritis.
- Stroke: Typically, loss of muscle strength on one side of the body occurs after a stroke. Physical therapy can also use movement therapy to help the individual strengthen the weak limb while stimulating the part of the brain that controls movement and helps to restore proper function.
- Incontinence: Physical therapy can help patients identify certain muscles and know how to use them effectively. Pelvic exercises are used to enhance strength in the muscles controlling the bladder.
- Parkinson’s Disease: Sadly, this disease in geriatrics is irreversible and progressive. But, physical therapy can help improve quality of life and flexibility for those suffering from this disease.
- Alzheimer’s Disease: Physical therapy for patients with Alzheimer’s or dementia can help improve memory functions and delay the development.
Positives of Physical Therapy in East Meadow for Geriatrics:
After an older individual becomes impaired in some way, whether it’s from an illness, injury, condition, or surgery, it can be difficult for them to recover and gain back their independence. Our team at Island Sports Physical Therapy in East Meadow will develop a personalized treatment plan to ensure patients get back to their active lifestyle.
Some of the main benefits of physical therapy for geriatrics include:
- Reducing the risk of falls
- Treating pain without drugs
- Reducing risk of infections
- Maintaining a healthy lifestyle
From decreasing pain or restoring balance, to helping manage chronic illnesses, physical therapy offers a wide range of benefits to improve quality of life in geriatric patients. Island Sports Physical Therapy in East Meadow can help you and your loved ones. Contact us to get started today!