Staying Active During The Holidays
With the imminent holiday season fastly approaching upon us, plenty of people across the nation need to make preparations in order to ensure that this season is the best one to date. Commonly, several of us tend to gather copious amounts of stress during this time of year, due to the fast-paced nature and sudden necessity of completing the daunting tasks that have been added to our to-do lists. Coordinating party planning, organizing holiday decorations, purchasing gifts for loved ones, the list essentially appears to be insurmountable. However, taking your time and developing a patient approach can be the key to formulating a plan for this upcoming season. Our physical therapy in Huntington will get you feeling great this holiday season.
The Most Common Basketball Injuries
Basketball is a fun, competitive, and very popular sport for people of all ages. It is also a sport that carries with it many injuries that players constantly suffer from. Whether it may be youth league, to high school, college, or even the pros, basketball injuries linger anywhere the game is played. If you’re searching for physical therapy in Nesconset to help treat your basketball related injury, then Island Sports Physical Therapy is here to help you get back on the court.
Keeping Your Body Healthy During The Wrestling Season
The wrestling season is long, grueling, and tiresome. But for those who are dedicated and passionate about this great sport, must keep their health in mind so they can sustain themselves throughout the year. Wrestlers often face various injuries as they power through their season, and it is important they seek prevention methods, as well as treatment if such an event occurs. If you’re a wrestler and you’re seeking the assistance of physical therapy in Huntington, NY, then Island Sports Physical Therapy is here to help you stay healthy this season.
Physical Therapy to Relieve Shoulder Pain
You don’t realize how many instances you need to use your shoulder for until you’re suddenly dealing with shoulder pain. When this occurs, even the smallest daily actions can bring you pain and discomfort. Island Sports Physical Therapy offers premium physical therapy in Huntington, so you don’t have to live another day with debilitating, untreated shoulder pain.
How Physical Therapy Can Help Reduce Lower Back Pain
Physical Therapy & Back Pain
Back pain is very common and can develop in all types of people, whether their lifestyle requires a lot of labor or if they sit at a desk. Back pain can be avoidable and preventable with physical therapy. At Island Sports Physical Therapy, we offer all types of treatments specific to each client’s needs. Physical therapy helps to relieve pain, promote healing, build strength, and restore function and movement. If you are looking for physical therapy in Huntington, NY, give us a call today to set up an appointment.
Common forms of physical therapy
The two most common forms of physical therapy are passive and active. Passive physical therapy includes the use of heating pads, ice packs, and electric stimulation. Active physical therapy includes specific exercises and stretches. For most lower back pain treatment, exercise is the focus of pain management, relief, and prevention.
Benefits from physical therapy
The lumbar spine (lower back) is very dependant on the abdominal muscles and lower back musculature. So essentially, if the pain in the lower back isn’t treated properly, it can lead to pain in other muscles of the body. A physical therapy exercise program can reduce the chances of receiving pain again and can help prevent future injuries and discomfort. Not only can it potentially help heal and reduce back pain, but it may even make those muscles stronger.
Physical therapy works differently for everyone
This is an important fact to remember when considering physical therapy. Every individual has different types of bodies, muscle movements and patterns, and also habits. Physical therapy in Huntington, NY, has the ability to monitor each patient in a unique fashion and cater themselves to their own specific needs. We specialize in treatments for children and adults, allowing us to expand our patient population.
Physical therapy before and after back surgery
Depending on the severity of the pain, surgery may be the only viable option for healing. Physical therapy is strongly recommended after surgery, but it can be utilized before the surgery as well. This may significantly shorten the patient’s recovery time by providing strength and stability.
Even if your back pain does not require surgery or does not seem too severe, physical therapy is still an option to reduce the discomfort and to avoid experiencing it again in the future. If you would like more information on our services and are looking for physical therapy in Huntington, NY, give us a call today to schedule an appointment!
Running as a sport can put extreme stress on certain parts of the body. Most running injuries are caused by an individual trying to push their body too far. Some common running injuries include runner’s knee, stress fractures, shin splints, and pulled muscles. While all of these injuries are painful, they can also be easily treated through physical therapy. Injuries are common during any sport but it’s important to determine your injury as early on as possible so that treatment can begin. If you are suffering from a running injury, contact Island Sports Physical Therapy in Huntington today!
Pregnancy and Physical Therapy
One of the best ways to relieve discomfort during pregnancy is through physical therapy. Over the course of a pregnancy, there can be a number of consistent pains that arise, and finding a safe and effective way to relieve that pain is important to keep you feeling relaxed and comfortable. If you are seeking physical therapy in East Northport, our physical therapists at Island Sports Physical Therapy will be able to offer you the care you need in order to relieve your pain.
Are you or a loved one in search of a geriatric physical therapist? At Island Sports Physical Therapy, we offer an excellent program. As we age, we tend to grow more dependent on medications to feel our best. However, this is not necessary. Physical therapy is often a better alternative than medication, especially in geriatrics.
Physical Therapy For Chronic Illness and Disease:
As people get older, the risk for certain diseases and illnesses, unfortunately, tends to increase. Luckily, physical therapy can be used to help geriatric patients manage these different chronic illnesses and diseases successfully. Physical therapy can help aid:
- Arthritis: Physical therapy uses techniques to help reduce any discomfort and prevent any future pain that may occur as a result of arthritis.
- Stroke: Typically, loss of muscle strength on one side of the body occurs after a stroke. Physical therapy can also use movement therapy to help the individual strengthen the weak limb while stimulating the part of the brain that controls movement and helps to restore proper function.
- Incontinence: Physical therapy can help patients identify certain muscles and know how to use them effectively. Pelvic exercises are used to enhance strength in the muscles controlling the bladder.
- Parkinson’s Disease: Sadly, this disease in geriatrics is irreversible and progressive. But, physical therapy can help improve quality of life and flexibility for those suffering from this disease.
- Alzheimer’s Disease: Physical therapy for patients with Alzheimer’s or dementia can help improve memory functions and delay the development.
Positives of Physical Therapy in East Meadow for Geriatrics:
After an older individual becomes impaired in some way, whether it’s from an illness, injury, condition, or surgery, it can be difficult for them to recover and gain back their independence. Our team at Island Sports Physical Therapy in East Meadow will develop a personalized treatment plan to ensure patients get back to their active lifestyle.
Some of the main benefits of physical therapy for geriatrics include:
- Reducing the risk of falls
- Treating pain without drugs
- Reducing risk of infections
- Maintaining a healthy lifestyle
From decreasing pain or restoring balance, to helping manage chronic illnesses, physical therapy offers a wide range of benefits to improve quality of life in geriatric patients. Island Sports Physical Therapy in East Meadow can help you and your loved ones. Contact us to get started today!
Physical Therapy in East Meadow
As the summer months are winding down, the fall sports season is right around the corner. Unfortunately, along with fall sports comes injuries. When participating in various sports, an injury is not always avoidable; however, there are a few steps you could take to help prevent yourself from undergoing injury. At Island Sports Physical Therapy, we offer fitness programs that will evaluate your current fitness level as well as teach you various exercises or techniques that may help prevent you from undergoing injury. If you are seeking physical therapy in East Meadow, be sure to contact us today.
Most common sports-related injuries:
- Ankle sprain
- Groin pull
- Knee injuries
- Rotator cuff injuries
- Shin splints
- Get in shape: a specific workout plan can help you get into the proper physical shape in order to prevent muscle strains or pulls. It is important to begin working out or training weeks before you know your sport will start.
- Check your gear: If you are a returning player, make sure all of your gear fits correctly. If you are new to the sport, make sure to buy any necessary equipment or gear in advance so that you have time to break it in.
- Consider a sports camp: sports camps could help players brush up or learn new skills before the season starts.
- Set realistic goals: before your season starts, set realistic goals in order to not overwork yourself.
How can we help?
At Island Sports Physical Therapy in East Meadow, we offer various tools that will aid in evaluating your physical capabilities. If you are seeking physical therapy in East Meadow, our physical therapists will be able to tailor an exercise program that fits your individual needs and goals. Don’t let an injury keep you from playing the sport that you love, contact us today to learn the benefits we have to offer you!
Staying active as you age is vital for your overall health because the results are very rewarding. While it may be difficult to remain physically active as you age, there are various ways and options to help you do so. Physical therapy in Nesconset is one of those great ways. Island Sports Physical Therapy will help you reach the health goals you are looking to achieve. Staying active as you age is more important than you think, and our team is more than capable to help you.
Benefits of staying active:
- Increased physical health– staying active as you get older will help to maintain your physical health and strength. The more you exercise, the stronger your muscles will become which will help you avoid medical problems or conditions that may affect you as you age.
- Increased mental health– when you exercise, the brain releases different types of endorphins. These endorphins will help to keep your brain sharp and focused.
- Reduces stress– reducing stress is an important factor that often gets overlooked. Staying active can help provide an outlet for relieving stress in a healthy and safe way.
Exercising also helps to reduce body fat, lower your risk of heart disease, and even manage depression.
- Energy levels
- Bone density
If you are searching for physical therapy in Nesconset, our physical therapists at Island Sports Physical Therapy have the tools necessary to evaluate your physical capabilities. After you are assessed, a unique fitness program can be created specifically for you that will provide you with exercises and techniques that will help to improve your overall fitness.
- Choose aerobic activities- swimming, walking, dancing, or cycling.
- Try yoga or meditation
- Weight train with light weights
- Exercise any way possible- bike riding, jogging, hiking, etc.
Let us help you!
Make sure to contact us today!